Sunday, June 6, 2010

Chester

Thursday 3 June. 2 1/2 miles, 5 locks.
From the pleasant village of Cristleton just outside Chester we descended the five locks and parked outside the city wall. Walk on down the tow path to check out any safe moorings for the night and also to look at the 3 lock staircase we have to negotiate. Couldn't find a better spot than where we were so decided to see what it was like. It was not far from a big pub. Walked the chester wall then back to the boat for tea and sleep. Pub was noisy but at 11 o'clock at all stopped and had a peaceful night.

Friday 4 June. 0 miles, 0 locks.
Into the centre of Chester to look at the buildings and shops. Found a new camera to replace the underwater camera. It has two straps so I hope this one will be used only for above water photography. By mid afternoon I had had enough of shops so Diana went off on her own and I went back to the boat.
That evening the pub was just as noisy but expected it to quieten down at some stage. I went to bed and Diana stayed up doing photography things on the computer. Next I heard was Diana yelling at someone. They had got on the front of the boat. They then got off very quickly and that was that, except now Diana can't sleep.

Saturday 5 June. 9 miles, A 3 lock staircase.
The staircase was at the beginning of the day and an interesting engineering design. I've drawn myself a picture so if you really need to understand how it works, ask me when you see me. Reasonably simple with one boat only but one boat was coming up as we went down so passed them in the second lock. meantime 2 more boats came up together which required a change sides passing manoeuvre. With 1 a 70ft boat, 1 a 68 foot boat and the 3rd a 60 footer in a couple of locks 72 feet long there is not much to spare. 9 miles latter we are moored up outside the National Waterways Museum at Ellesmere Port. We will visit there tomorrow. While sitting here a reasonably big ship went passed a matter of a few yards away on the Manchester ship canal. We can also look across the Mersey to Liverpool

1 comment:

  1. hi,have now added myself with google and set up a blog page, I have got one with wordpress but never use it. The photos you are sending are great and love the idea of puling up outside of a pub ( not the noisey ones though!!) will be able to make more contact now via here plus when I am on my cruise I can go into the internet cafe on board and add my holiday daily adventures and photos. take care love Cathy

    ReplyDelete